Mike Srock – Director of Speed & Strength, Byrnes High School
During Mike Srock’s 20 years at J. F. Byrnes High School, the Rebels have accumulated more
then half of the athletic program’s 29 state championship titles. The Rebels hold the distinction of
earning the 2008 National NIKE SPARQ Training Challenge.
- NASE – Certified Speed Specialist Level II
- USA Weightlifting – National Coach – Level III
- USA – Wrestling – Bronze Level Coach
- Tsunami Bar – Certified Coach
- Kettlebell Concepts – Certified Coach
A Football Dynasty
Amongst the many accomplishments during Srock’s tenure, the Rebel Football team has
appeared in the South Carolina AAAA Football State Championship game nine times, winning
eight State Championships. The most recent championship was in 201l. The Rebels Football
team have compiled a 222-43 record since 2000. Helping the Rebels win state titles has only
been part of his tenure at Byrnes High School. Since Srock took over the strength program, the
Rebels have sent an astounding 70 players to post-season games (33 football players to the
Shrine Bowl All-Star Game, 37 players North/South Game); earned three (3) Mr. Football Player
Awards (the best player in the state).
The Rebels currently have more active football players in the NCAA than ANY other
program in South Carolina, and have been recognized nationally by Maxpreps.com as a leader in
Division 1 athlete production.
By the Numbers
In addition to the success of the football program, Coach Srock programs and trains every
sport (male and female) for Byrnes High. Below is a list of accomplishments that teams have
achieved from Srock’s program:
- 25 State Strength Meet Champions.
- The volleyball team won the State Championship in 2009.
- The boys basketball team won the State Championship in 2016.
- The softball team won State Championships in 2005, 2014, and 2017.
- The baseball team won the SC Upper-State Title and played for the SC State Championship in 2010, 2011, and 2012.
- The Boys Cross Country won State Titles in 2000 and 2001.
- In 2019, the Boys Track & Field Team won their first state title in school history.
Leading with a Vision
Coach Srock was elected to the South Carolina Strength Coaches Hall of Fame in 2017 and is
the current Vice-President of the South Carolina Athletic Coaches Association. Since 1999, Srock
has been a Region Director for the South Carolina High School Strength Coaches Association
(SCHSSCA) and was President of the SCHSSCA from 2008-2011. In addition, Srock is on the NASE
National Board of Directors and serves on the NASE National Certification Board and is the State
Director for South Carolina. While maintaining an active leadership role within the state, he also
maintains a presence in national venues. He currently serves on the Sports Performance Board
for SF-7X, the Advisory Board for the South Carolina Chapter of the National Strength and
Conditioning Association (NSCA), a Strategic Partner for High School Strength, and a Legendary
Coach with (Ph)UEL 5.0., a member of the National High School Strength Coaches Association
(NHSSCA), and a member of the Tsunami Bar Sports Advisory Board.
Recognition & Honors
Srock has won numerous Coach of the Year honors over the years. A selection of his
accomplishments are listed below:
- 2000: USA Weightlifting East Coach Gold Satellite Center Coach of the Year
- 2001: USA Weightlifting East Coach Gold Coach of the Year
- 2001: Strength Coach of the Year, South Carolina Athletic Coaches Association
- 2007: Strength Coach of the Year, South Carolina Athletic Coaches Association*
*(First two time winner of the award)
- 2008: Max-Emfinger All-American Bowl staff as strength and defensive line coach.
- 2016: Assistant Coach of the Year for the SCACA
- 2017: South Carolina Strength Coaches Hall of Fame Speaking at Clinics
Srock has presented his Speed and Strength Program at many clinics including the
University of Tennessee, NSCA State Level Clinic (four times), NC State Basketball Clinic,
Wake Forest University (four times), Wofford College (four times), NASE Certification Clinic
(four times), Charleston Southern University FCA Clinic, the SCHSSCA Development Clinic, and
Summer Strong (all 12 years it has been held). Srock has also appeared on National Pod Casts
for Smarter Team Training and Iron Game Chalk Talk and High School Strength Coach.
Most recently, Srock was a presenter at the 2018 NHSSCA National Clinic.
Coach Srock wrote 101 Fundamentals for Football Speed, published by Coaches Choice
Publishing Company in 2010. That same year, Coaches Choice also produced two instructional
DVD’s, both of which were directed by Srock. Currently, Srock and Dr. George Dintiman (and
NASE) are working on a new book, Essentials of Modern Sports Speed Training.
Srock is married to the lovely Judy and has two daughters, Carre and Teresa; a
granddaughter, Sterling; three grandsons, Raven, Ryo and Nikolas; GREAT granddaughter,
Alexandria Leigh and GREAT grandson, Pierce. All of these wonderful people are the joys of his